For those of you interested in adding to your library, we have an exciting private book sale to let you know about. Kyle Jolliffe, author of Seeking the Blessed Community: A History of Canadian Young Friends 1875-1996, is looking to downsize his library and has over two hundred books for sale.
Many of these are Quaker related and will be of interest to CFHA members, including some rare texts below:
- Arthur Dorland, Along the Trail of Life…A Quaker Retrospect (Belleville, Ontario: Mika Publishing Company, 1979), hardcover, 209 pages, good condition. An autobiographical account – $15.00.
- Canadian Quaker Pamphlets published by Argenta Friends Press. This series of about 71 pamphlets started in 1977 and ended about 2015, being replaced by the current Quaker Learning Series pamphlets some of which can now be found online. I have almost all of the earlier series except nos. 5, 13 and 20. They cover various topics and were mostly written by Canadian Friends. They are all in good condition, except for some occasional stains or slight creases on the covers – free plus the cost of shipping.
- Coldstream, Ontario Friends, A Plea to the People of Canada from the Society of Friends at Coldstream, Ontario. Issued in January 1916, this seven-page pamphlet set out measures such as arbitration, a global police force, and disarmament to ensure peace once the then present war had been concluded. – $20.00
- Discipline of the Society of Friends of Canada Yearly Meeting (Toronto: Canada Yearly Meeting, 1881), hardcover, 128 pages, poor condition for multiple reasons (colouring by children, binding broken, foxing, inside front flyleaf missing) but the text appears to be complete – $5.00.
- Francis Starr, Stuart S. Starr and Christopher K. Starr, Elma M. Starr Contented (no place of publication: privately printed, 1989), booklet with Starr family genealogical tree loose insert, good condition (a few small stains on the back cover). A short but humble and remarkable memoir of one of the leading Conservative Friends in Canada – free.
- Fred Haslam, 1921-1967 A Record of Experience with Canadian Friends (Quakers) and the Canadian Ecumenical Movement (Toronto: privately printed, 1968), paperback, 131 pages, good condition (some light staining to the front and back covers and cover wear). For more than 50 years Fred Haslam was a steady leadership presence among Canadian Friends – $5.00.
- John Barclay, ed., The Life and Posthumous Works of Richard Claridge, being Memoirs and Manuscripts related to his experience and progress in religion, his changes in opinion, and reasons for them, collected by Joseph Besse, and first published in 1726 (London: Darton and Harvey, third edition 1836), hardcover, 314 pages, good condition (some wear to the cloth cover). The significance of this book is actually not the actual content, but the “Friends’ Library Pictou No. 26” book plate attached to the inside front cover. It may be one of the books which the Quaker minister Daniel Wheeler brought from England in 1839 to the small group of Friends in Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1842 – $5.00.
- Joseph Hoag [printed posthumously], Journal of Joseph Hoag (Auburn: New York Yearly Meeting, 1861), hardcover, 389 pages, good condition (some wear and staining to the cloth cover and some foxing). A Friends Minister who travelled widely, including to Canada a number of times. – $20.00.
- Rules of Discipline of Genesee Yearly Meeting of Friends Revised, 6th mo., 1885 (Picton, Ontario: Genesee Yearly Meeting, 1885), hardcover, 79 pages, good condition (ex-library copy, page opposite the title page is frayed and detached, binding at the front is weak) – $7.50.
- Ormerod Greenwood, The Quaker Tapestry (London: Impact Books, 1990), hardcover, 246 pages with illustrations of the panels, good condition. Please see the Wikipedia page for the Quaker Tapestry – $20.00.
If you’d like to see the complete list of all two hundred books available, please click the attached PDF below for details on purchasing and contact Kyle at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.